As the temperature rises, people will suffer from varying degrees of loss of appetite. Many people like to eat cold food to lower their body temperature. It is true that cold drinks can relieve the heat, but people with psoriasis must be careful.
So, can psoriasis patients have cold drinks in summer?
- Psoriasis patients should try to drink little or no cold drinks. Cold drinks can cause sudden constriction of gastric submucosal blood vessels, which will reduce gastric defense function and increase gastrointestinal burden. If psoriasis patients have cold drinks during the treatment, it will reduce the absorption and utilization of medicines causing adverse effect to the psoriasis treatment.
- Secondly, cold drinks can also affect the digestive function. Especially, people should avoid cold drinks immediately after meals. Because after a meal, the blood in the body will concentrate in the stomach to help digestion. Having a cold drink right after a meal can cause dilated blood vessels to suddenly contract, reducing the corresponding blood flow, impeding its digestive process, and even indigestion.
- Having cold drinks cannot relieve the heat for patients with psoriasis. In fact, it may irritate blood vessels and skin, and therefore inhibit the speed of skin metabolism and influence the regression of skin lesions to slow down psoriasis treatment.
Therefore, patients with psoriasis should try not to have cold drinks in summer. The best food to relieve the heat is mung bean soup or boiled water. Maintaining a balanced nutrition intake, keeping a regular meal and have a regular rest are the keys to ensure the function of gastrointestinal tract.
How scientifically proven diets that work for psoriasis patients in summer?
- Eat high fiber food
Rising temperatures in hot weather may cause loss of appetite and excessive internal heat, while a decrease in the number of gastrointestinal motilities can aggravate constipation leading to a build-up of toxins. Psoriasis patients, therefore, are highly recommended to eat food with crude fiber, such as corn, purple sweet potatoes or oats to stimulate gastrointestinal peristalsis and help their stool discharge.
- Have more food for invigorating spleen and removing dampness
Psoriasis patients are often weak having deficiency of kidney yang which is the essence of spleen’s transporting and transforming function. When the spleen’s function in transporting and distributing body fluid is impeded, it leads to an accumulation of dampness and phlegm. Therefore, food consumption should target at invigorating spleen and removing dampness by eating mushrooms and bitter gourd. In addition, plaques flaking off the skin will lead to the loss of nutrients, which will inevitably affect the patient’s health. Eating Lettuce and celery are highly recommended to stimulate the appetite. In order to prevent respiratory tract infection, patients can eat more food for producing saliva and nourishing lung, such as mangosteen, apple or loquat, etc.
- Develop a good habit of drinking water
Drink small amount of water multiple times slowly before you feel thirsty. When people feel thirsty, the body’s water has long been out of balance as part of the cells have been in the state of dehydration and drinking water has already became a passive activity. Over time, the human body will be in a latent water shortage state for a long time, which is not conducive to the normal metabolism of the human body.